The Role: The Piping Fabrication Field Drafter will support the permit, construction, and fabrication drawing development for piping systems within our Louisiana manufacturing facilities. The successful candidate will be responsible for pipe routing per customer requirements. You will coordinate with other disciplines, work with our construction team to develop fabrication drawings, work with our operations team for support, and be responsible for drawing layout, documentation, and estimation.
- Provide advanced drafting and design services by preparing, coordinating, and maintaining engineering, fabrication, and construction/fabrication drawings for mechanical piping systems
- Produce mechanical piping drawings for the purpose of permitting, fabrication, and construction to support manufacturing and facilities
- Responsible for creating detailed pipe process routing models, spool drawings and bill of materials for process or mechanical piping systems.
- Provide creative ideas in regards to pre-construction, off-site fabrication, and pipe routing.
- Ability to create custom process piping designs for the purpose of permitting, fabrication, and construction to support manufacturing and facilities.
- Ability to review shop drawings to ensure quality and accuracy prior to distribution, modify drawings as changes occur in the field, and expedite the updates to not impact construction schedule.
- Effectively communicate with project engineers, mechanical designers, in-house fabricators, and installers, as well as other team members during the design and construction process.
- Design well thought out and cost-effective solutions fully coordinated with customer.
- Prepare material takeoffs of partial or complete projects.
- Prepares bill of material estimates from model for procurement and estimating
- Prepare construction documents which includes General Arrangements, Piping Isometrics, & Piping Plans.
- Check and verify the discipline design on projects.
- Prepare design sketches for use by drafting personnel.
- Check vendor shop drawings and construction drawings.
- Field surveys and as-built drawings
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 3+ years of detailing and/or coordination experience in mechanical piping design or
- 3+ years of pipe fitting / fabrication
- Field drafting, mechanical, or operational experience in a refinery or other industrial setting
- Proficiency in the use of a CAD product would be a plus
- Experience in pipe fitting field or working with a fabricator preferred
- Knowledge of different piping systems and proper joining methods
- Able to produce fabrication and spool drawings
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Must pass background, drug, and alcohol screen
- Must possess valid Driver’s License
- Self-motivated and team-oriented with good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in heights
- Ability to obtain a TWIC card or have a current TWIC card is a must
- Be able to climb, bend and crawl in extreme heights
- Long durations of standing or sitting
- Be harnessed in specific environments
- Weather exposure for long periods of time
- Conditions may include working inside and/or outside. May work around machinery with moving parts and moving objects. Working closely with others or working alone. Working extended or irregular hours (OT).
Physical Job Requirements
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, climb stairs and ladders, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, lift and carry up to 50 lbs., perceive depth, operate a motor vehicle and operate motor equipment.
Tools and PPE Requirements
- Equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing the essential job function include but not limited to computer and related equipment, calculator, special instrumentation, hand tools, telephone, and automobile. Ability to wear proper personal protective equipment (PPE), including but not limited to, safety glasses or goggles, hardhat, reinforced toed shoes, coveralls, gloves, and ear plugs or muffs.
Limitations and Disclaimer
This job description describes the general job duties, accountabilities and physical requirements associates with the position; it is not an exhaustive list of all the duties, accountabilities, or skills required for the position.
The general job duties, accountabilities and physical requirements associated with the position are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some physical requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health or safety to themselves or others.
- Retirement IRA with matching
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation
- Dental / Vision / Disability insurance available
- 10 hour shift
- Monday to Thursday